Thursday, March 7, 2013

Naan bread/flat bread pizza

 We got a flyer in the mail the other day for Daphne's California Greek restaurant. On it was a picture of a flatbread pizza and my husband made a comment about how it looks good and we should try to make it. I thought OK I can make that! I found a pin for flat bread, because I don't know what they are really made with. Turns out it's Naan bread. It is not at all hard to make either.

http://hunwhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/2012/12/homemade-naan-bread.html
http://pinterest.com/pin/195765915024619203/

Naan
Betty Crocker Big Red Cookbook 2011
printable version

3 C flour
1 Tbs sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 C milk, slightly warmed
2 Tbs vegetable oil
about 1/4 C water (I used about 1/2 C)
2 Tbs butter, melted*

*QUOTED DIRECTLY FROM SOURCE***
In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Mix warm milk and oil; stir into flour mixture. Stir in warm water, 2 Tbs at a time, until dough leaves side of bowl and forms a fairly stiff ball. The dough should not be sticky or dry.
Knead dough in bowl or on lightly floured surface 2-3 minutes or until dough becomes smooth and pliable. Brush dough lightly with some of the melted butter and cover with plastic wrap; set aside 30 minutes. (At this point, dough can be covered and refrigerated up to 24 hrs. When ready to roll, let dough stand at room temperature 30 minutes so it becomes soft and easy to handle).
Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Place round or square pizza stone in oven to heat.

http://pinterest.com/pin/195765915024615822/edit/
http://pintrestchallenge.blogspot.com/2013/03/naan-breadflat-bread-pizza.html


 I love Classico's new pizza sauce (and of course their spaghetti sauce!) Then we add some veggies and cheese of choice. Since I buy the Applegate pepperoni's they are usually huge and I cut them down (what you see by the olives)
 
It was a little thick (note to self, roll 1/8'' instead of 1/4'') but it was really good.

After it is made, my daughter says to me, "Why flat bread?"so I explain the story. Then my husband says "What flyer?" and I show him. Turns out he was talking about the Pita Taco, not the flat bread pizza! Oh well... it was good and now I have a new thing to try to make :)


OR

Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Shape each into a ball; brush each lightly with some of the butter. Cover and let stand 20 to 30 minutes.

Working with one piece of dough at a time, roll into 8-inch circle or teardrop shape, about 1/4 inch thick, on lightly floured surface, taking care not to tear dough. Repeat with remaining dough.

Place dough on hot pizza stone and bake 3 to 4 minutes or until brown spots form and bubbles start to appear on surface. Turn; bake 7 to 8 minutes. Remove bread with a spatula; brush lightly with remaining butter. Wrap cooked breads in foil to keep warm, while cooking remaining dough. Cut each bread in half to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment