Friday, September 20, 2013

Vanellope Von Schweetz Costume


This was a really easy, yet hard costume. Trying to find a blue hoodie in a good color (almost with leggings that matched) proved more difficult that you could imagine. Thankfully I found some online from Old Navy and purchased them quickly. The skirt was purchased at Target.

Using a purple/pink  shoelace I added the stitches to the hoodie. It didn't actually have strings for the hood, so I just sewed the end pieces to it to give the effect.
For the leggings I found some red yarn and sewed it lightly on. This picture was taken before we decided we liked it and could sew it on fully and more secure.

To see her hair clips, click here

Taffeta Muttonfudge Costume 

Taffeta Muttonfudge Costume

There wasn't really a tutorial to show me what to do for this. I had to really wing it. Thankfully my daughter owns a lot of pink.For the shirt and skirt (although in real life it's a pink glittery dress with a stripe. Since we can kinda zip her jacket no one is going to notice) I found two pink things and added a wavy white line through the skirt using ribbon, I barely had enough!

We already owned a pink jacket (luckily the zipper just broke, so I didn't feel bad when I altered it). I added red binding to the bottom of the jacket, tucked in the hood and made a green collar. For the white stripes on the side, you could use more binding (but I didn't have any) So I went through the house and found some brand new white shoe laces and sewed those onto it.

The leggings (not pictured) were a pair that were really dirty and honestly she refused to wear to school. So I took some thick white ribbon and traced the stripes in correct spots and painted them onto the leg. I've seen people spray paint them on, which looks nice as well. Also people might use thick ribbon, which would have been nice but the whole meaning of the costumes was to reduce the costs since we're going to Disneyland

The hat I used the same basic idea found   here . Except I did NOT add a bottom "ribbon" I made a  thin hat brim instead. Also, before I sewed the top closed I added the strawberry leaves and stem.

The gloves were by far the hardest thing to figure out. I tried using this pin

but I failed miserably. When I first printed it I felt like it was extremely small. I figured since it was for a childs hand it would be OK. I was wrong. The first attempt I accidentally cut the thumb hole out on both pieces, which ruined it. The second attempt I realized it was too small no matter what.  So I traced my daughters hand (big for seam allowance) and that didn't work. Almost 1/4 yard of white fabric and really frustrating time spent on it, my daughter turns to me and says, "Oh wait! I know what you can do!!" She ran to the bathroom and got out an extra pair of hair dye gloves I keep on hand and told me to trace that onto the fabric. IT WORKED!

Vanellope's Clips
Vanellope Costume

Vanellope Hair clips

Ah, Vanellope Von Schweetz from Wreck it Ralph captured our hearts upon first meeting her in just the previews for the movie last year. After going back and forth on who she wanted to be for Halloween, the Banana finally chose  Vanellope (Sorry, Wonder'll have to wait). I thought the clips were going to be difficult, but they turned out to be pretty easy.
I purchased polymer clay from Wal*Mart and  shaped them with fondant cutters and by hand. I didn't make the gummy bears (although they were cute) we made cupcakes instead. My first batch I accidentally burned when I was cooking them because I forgot to set a timer. The second batch came out not only not burned, but better looking. After they had cooled I glued them onto black bobbi pins and let them set. Originally I tried to glue them to white hair clips I purchased at Michaels but the "base" was too visible and we quickly pulled them off and re-glued them to the bobbi pins.

For the licorice hair tie I took a rectangular piece of red fabric, sewed 3 of the 4 sides closed, turned it right side out and then added pipe cleaners (to make it stiff)

For the cookie necklace, I rolled out a very thin layer of tan and made a teal with blue, green and white. I used a cookie cutter for both (trimming down the blue afterward) Then I added some red and white sprinkles and I made "pipping" by thinning the white as best as I could. The writing was by far the most difficult of the whole outfit!!