Wednesday, February 29, 2012

French Bread

Pintrest Objective: http://pinterest.com/pin/280067670546617442/


I love bread and I love Spaghetti- tonight I just felt like eating Spaghetti so I'm going to need some French Bread.  My husband and I just went to Costco where he bought me a 25 pound bag of flour (he really knows how to get a girl :)  )


What you'll need:
2 1/4-2 3/4 cups of flour
1 cup of warm water
1 packet of yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 TABLEspoon sugar

For top:
1 egg white
1 TABLEspoon water

Directions:
Pour all ingredients into mixer. Mix for 5 minutes.  Add extra flour if needed.


Shape into ball and placed in grease bowl. Let it rise for 45 minutes in warm place (ovens are super helpful)
 After

After it has risen, place on flour surface and roll the dough out into the shape of a rectangle.


Next, roll it out like a jelly roll. An alternative here is to just roll it out in the shape of a french bread roll. That's what we use to do at Safeway.


place on a cookie sheet (the directions from the site don't say this, but in the bakery we use to add cornmeal to the bottom of our pans so the bread doesn't stick).  and let it rise again for 30-45 minutes.
 after
This is about where I feel like my recipe went awol...



Preheat the oven to  400 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together egg white and 1 tablespoon of water. Cut 3 slits into the dough


brush onto the top of the bread and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
FAILED. Oh  I am so irritated. It still tastes good, a little too sweet...but it flopped itself. I have never had this many problems with things I bake. Screw that. I'm making  a pizza.


I may have only kinda failed... I mean my family did it more than 3/4 of it! haha.
It's edible and all, it just doesn't look pretty and I don't think it would qualify as French Bread.


 Alright, so after being irritated the rest of the night and making a good pizza instead, I googled what happened. Turns out it over proofed the second time (I had to go get my daughter from school). I will not let this get me down. I'm going to try again!















Orignally posted by: .thefrugalgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment