Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Dream Catcher

pbs.org
http://pinterest.com/pin/195765915022736854/




You need:
Feathers
beads
paper place
scissors
yarn
hole punch
paint


So, Hannah is saying she has a lot of bad dreams. I remember being scared of the dark, etc... as a child. I suggested getting a dream catcher to my mom and together she and I built one. Well, they have grown less and less popular (or at least the store is out of them when we wanted to buy a physical one. This easy one using a paper plate is just going to have to do. "The resulting "dream-catcher", hung above the bed, is used as a charm to protect sleeping children from nightmares. As dreamcatchers are made of willow and sinew, they are not meant to last forever but are intended to dry out and collapse as the child enters the age of wonderment.[citation needed]
The Ojibwa believe that a dreamcatcher changes a person's dreams. According to Konrad J. Kaweczynski, "Only good dreams would be allowed to filter through… Bad dreams would stay in the net, disappearing with the light of day."[4] Good dreams would pass through and slide down the feathers to the sleeper." (Wikipedia)

First we painted them the colors we wanted and let them dry. Using an empty salsa container we traced a circle in the middle and cut it out. I didn't have a hole punch, well I do... I don't know where it is, so I had to use my eye lit punch for fabric. Since my holes were smaller than a hole punch hole we had to use my knitting looms needle to thread it through various holes. Every now and then add a bead- this traps the bad dreams.
When we were satisfied we tied it off in the back, added a loop to hang it, and added feathers.

No comments:

Post a Comment