Saturday, August 11, 2012

Tomato Sauce

http://pinterest.com/pin/102949541451423113/
http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/08/fresh-tomato-sauce/

So our eight tomato plants are producing like crazy. I decided to get the courage up to try to make a simple tomato sauce to use to make spaghetti or something else.  Last time I peeled and diced tomatoes I didn't have enough tomatoes to do anything with. It was also taking FOREVER to peel because I had to heat up the water.

This time I put them in  my sink. Weird I know, but the water gets VERY hot. First I made an X on the bottom of the tomato, then let them soak in the sink for about 10 minutes.


Some were easy to peel, others took a little more work. It worked just as good as blanching them.

The lady on the website squeezed her tomatoes and pulled out the center/harder part. So I followed what she did.


Then I stuck my stuff in a blender and pureed it. I didn't have any cheese cloth so I taped a coffee filter to the top of my blender. Which seemed like a good idea at the time until if spilled out!!! Next time


I was almost done and all that hard work went down the drain. Literally.

I was so upset when the coffee filter fell :(  However it was working.





1 comment:

  1. You can always put the coffee filter inside a collander (strainer) next time too. Always tough to do stuff like this without the right equipment! Sometimes winging it works, sometimes not. Lord knows I've had a lot of jury rigged fails happen! haha

    ReplyDelete