Thursday, September 13, 2012

Butter Buns

http://pinterest.com/pin/195765915023442117/
http://www.roxanashomebaking.com/butter-buns-2/


Alright, I'll admit from the start I'm a little iffy about these rolls ( I say this as they are rising in my kitchen) The only reason behind these feelings are simple: The original blogger isn't exactly specific on her choice in ingredients. One day she likes to add one egg- other days  egg whites, or two eggs. Now if you're a little neurotic like me and like things in order at this rate you'd toss the recipe out the window. I must be crazy because I decide to give them a try.  I did the stuff not in parentheses.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup of water (or milk)
1 package yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
4 cups of flour
1 egg (or 2 egg yolks )
4 Tablespoons melted butter
another 1 cup or milk (or water)--(original bloggers note says if you used unsalted butter to add 1-2tsp salt)

Directions:
Start by warming the water in mixer (or bowl) add yeast and let it set for 5 minutes or until foamy. Next add 4 cups of flour and turn mixer on.

This is about where I realized I added 1 cup of water to my yeast instead and so I had to just add some extra flour. Once all of your ingredients are fully incorporated, place the dough in a greased bowl. Cover it with saran wrap and let rise until doubled in size.

Once the dough has risen grease a 9x13 pan and divide dough into 16 almost equal balls. Shape them into small baguettes and place them into the baking dish. Cover again and leave at room temperature.



Turn the oven on and let it reach 375F.
When your oven is nice and hot and your buns are almost doubled in size brush them with some more melted butter and place them into the oven
 
Bake for 23-25 minutes until golden. Brush with some more butter as soon as you take them out of the oven. Brush with butter.

Verdict: The second time they rose beautifully until I had to take the  saran wrap off. Then they kind deflated. I thought, "Oh well- looks aren't everything it's how they taste." Unfortunately, These were the blandest rolls I've ever made. They taste literally like dough (mainly because I took her advice and didn't add any salt because my butter has salt a little salt in it).


This is the best dinner rolls I've ever made: sweet dinner roll

No comments:

Post a Comment