Wednesday, October 3, 2012

American Girl Doll Witch costume

http://pinterest.com/pin/195765915023357551/
http://www.rosiesdollclothespatterns.com/18-inch-american-girl-doll-clothes-patterns-witches-costume/?doing_wp_cron=1338757606



So when you click the original source it brings you to a website that wants you to buy the pattern.  If you're not willing to mess up at least once like I did on making my own, I recommend buying the pattern and saving yourself the annoyance. I went to

http://pinterest.com/pin/195765915023593865/
agplaythings.com

* I printed off Josefina's Camisa's dress pattern, cut it out and made these alterations:  

* Added length to the dress (to the ankle of the doll)

* I only used the BACK of the dress pattern ( cutting BOTH front AND back on a FOLD). On my first attempt with using both the front and back I learned that it was way too wide. I used the crush velvet for fabric because it's a little stretchy and so I was able to cut both front and back on the fold.

* For the sleeve I traced the top of Josefina's Camisa pattern, folded the new paper in half and drew a longer sleeve with the dip for the costume.



Now, my daughters didn't want the bats on their costume or the colored inside, so I had it pretty easy. Once  I had the pattern pinned and cut out onto fabric I began pinning and sewing it back together. My tip to you is the pin the dress onto the doll BEFORE sewing so that you can see how it will fit and make alterations as you go- otherwise you'll sew and try on and pin and cut and sew more than you should have to.

For the witch hat (it is kinda smaller than the doll's head) I used the felt you can buy at Michael's for a quarter. I recommend buying 1/3 yard at JoAnn's and making it bigger- unless your kids (like mine) don't care and think little things are cute). Anyway, I traced the plate and cut it out. Next I took a second piece of felt and kind of curved it to make a cone and cut it out for the top part of the witches hat and sewed it up.


I tried to trace the hole size of the hat- it did NOT work out that well- I had to cut my rim down (which is OK because I just lined that seam up with the seam of the pointy part). Pin your top part to the rim of the hat and sew closed. To make the hat more decorative I added Halloween ribbon to the hat before I sewed the top to the bottom. Then I added a bow to the back to hide the seam.


My other American Girl items:
school supplies
feel better kit  (Just like McKenna's!)
Gymnastics accessories
head band
Minnie Mouse ears
sleeping bags
sleeping mask
pillow dress
accessories
pet accessories

**If you found this funny, useful or both, please follow me. I get a little lonely! Thanks :)




No comments:

Post a Comment