Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Apple pies

Two pins today. Both are apple pies, using the same inside and crust (look below for recipe)

http://pinterest.com/pin/195765915022601326/
http://domesticdilettante.com/2012/01/11/applepie/


Start by cutting the top off of the apple, take a knife and slightly cut the inside of the apple, leaving a "wall" of apple on the inside. Used a spoon to dig out the apple.
This is where I'm not happy- the inside apple was very hard to use.
 To fill the apple, I cut another apple and then cut them into cubes.

With pie crust rolled thin, cut it into strips and place on top.


Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.


So it's a little deceiving, they look like rotten apples after they've been cooked. They taste a little sour- but it wasn't terrible. I do like my mini apple pies better- which brings me to
NEXT PIN:
http://pinterest.com/pin/195765915022071226/


So I already cut my apples, added my ingredients (found below) I rolled the pie crust out and used a butter lid to cut it, then rolled it a little thinner and placed it in a GREASED  cupcake tin


Then I used the crumb topping to cover it
And baked it at 375 for 20-30 minutes




Dutch (or crumb topped) apple pie filling
  • 5 large Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  •  

  • Simple Pie crust:
    1 cup of flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/3 cup shortening
    1 1/2 tsp vinigar
    2-3TBLspoons milk
For crumb topping:

  1. Preheat oven to degrees 375 for 50 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment