Thursday, May 17, 2012

Sour Dough Starter


http://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread/SourdoughStarter.htm
Please go to the original source- she wrote it very detailed and it was a great help!
*Do NOT use a bowl like I did. Use a spaghetti jar.That one worked better!*

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour*
2 teaspoons granulated sugar (optional)**
1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) of active-dry yeast
2 cups warm water (105 to 115 degrees F.)

Right after I mixed it all together:

Several hours later:



24 hours later:
mine had developed a crust- 

 I took the weird crust off, and stirred it...




I goodle-ed "crust on sour dough starter" and it claims it's normal...Just in case I started  an extra one using a spaghetti jar this time with a damp paper towel covering the top. How I'll get it out later it beyond me- I'll think about it for the next couple of days. lol



A couple hours later
Day 2
As quoted by original poster " Let it sit out (at room temperature) for 2 to 5 days, stirring it once a day. The starter is ready when it develops a pleasant sour smell and looks bubbly.
Once your starter starts bubbling, then start feeding it daily with flour and water according to the directions below. Then stir it, cover loosely with plastic wrap (allow a little breathing space), and store it on your counter top or in the refrigerator (your choice)."


Yeah, the one I had in the bowl crusted again and looked gross- I tossed it.

 However, my one in the spaghetti jar looked promising.  I stirred it and placed my damp paper towel back over the lid
Day 3
I poured in a little warm water and some flour- I have to eye this all since I didn't do the original posters amount. placed warm and damp paper towel over lid
Day 4: Again, added some more flour and warm water and wet paper towel over the lid--it's starting to smell like sour dough




Day 5: Yep, you guessed it :  added some more flour and warm water and wet paper towel over the lid-Much more sour dough scent- by tomorrow it should be ready!
Day 6: Just keep feeding- just keep feeding. I was going to make the bread today, but I ran out of time.




Day 7: Today was the day! We are making:
Sour Dough Bread
http://pinterest.com/pin/195765915022675764/
http://www.food.com/recipe/sourdough-bread-and-starter-78816

Directions:

Add  flour, salt, sugar, butter and water in mixer, mix for about a minute and then add your starter. I had to add a TINY bit extra just to make sure it formed. Then let it rise until doubled in size- mine took about 2 hours.

  then I rolled it out and formed the dough by "jelly rolling" the dough and placings it in the pan, 

I let mine rise again because it looked kinda odd.
I baked the bread at 350 for 35 minutes.

Verdict: Maybe it's my sinus' but I don't taste the sour dough. The kids all did though.



Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/sourdough-bread-and-starter-78816#ixzz1v9JFry6y











No comments:

Post a Comment